Agenda and Workshop Details* Subject to change. Please come back often as new speakers and topics will be added.
|7:30 - 8:30||
TAXLINK ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
Knowledge Bureau will also hold its second TAXLINK™ advisory board meeting at these events. This is a forum for peer-to-peer communications exchanges, referral services and advocacy for those who advise clients with tax issues. TAXLINK members help us establish and support education services at recognized national standards of competence and participate in advocating for excellence in technical skills and best practice support services through a tax writers group, peer-to-peer reviews, student support, mentorship and testing.
|8:00 - 8:30||
REGISTRATION AND COFFEE
Pick up your Comprehensive Knowledge Journal
|8:30 - 10:00||
WHAT’S NEW: AFTER THE FEBRUARY 27, 2018 FEDERAL BUDGET
Evelyn Jacks,President, Knowledge Bureau, MFA, DFA-Tax Services Specialist
At Department of Finance:
|10:00 - 10:30||
THE EFFECT OF CHANGE ON TAX EFFICIENT RETIREMENT AND INVESTMENT PLANNING
|10:30 - 10:45||
|10:45 - 12:00||
AUDIT ISSUES AT CRA: APPROACHING YOUR CONFIDENT RELATIONSHIP
• Tax Audit Season: 2008 - 2018
DIG DEEP INTO THE MOST AUDITED CLAIMS: FOCUS ON INCOME AND DEDUCTIONS:
• Families: Maximizing child care claims, Canada Child Benefits
|12:00 - 12:30||
A TRUE-TO-LIFE CASE STUDY: FOCUS ON REAL ESTATE – THE FAMILY COTTAGE
• Ownership – Personal Residences and Rental Properties
o One property; more than one property, on Canada, abroad, T1135
• Dispositions: Adventure or concern in nature of trade: when are investments/real estate considered to be business income?
|12:30 - 1:00||
|1:00 - 1:30||
PRACTICE MANAGEMENT: THE FUTURE OF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Featuring Knowledge Bureau Designates
|1:30 - 2:45||
Dean Smith, a partner in Cadesky Tax (Cadesky and Associates LLP) and the President of Cadesky U.S. Tax Limited.
In Toronto: Russell Vert, Senior Tax Manager, Cadesky U.S. Tax Ltd.
News for Investors, Snowbirds, Professionals, Business Owners & New Romances
1) What was the objective of U.S. tax reform? Effect of reforms on residency rules and filing requirements
2) What changes will impact Canadians investing in the U.S. and U.S. citizens living in Canada?
3) Personal tax: How will the rules affect Canadian residents who have children studying in U.S., snowbirds, retirees, rental and personal property owners in the U.S.
4) Family tax: What is the effect of change for Canadians who marry U. S. citizens?
5) Tax tips for Expats and U.S. residents/citizens living in Canada
If these are questions that keep you and your clients up at night, don’t miss this dynamic session from one of Canada’s most experienced U.S.-Canada tax experts.
|2:45 - 3:00||
|3:00 - 4:00||
6) Property owners: Is it still a good idea to own property in the U.S.?
7) Corporate tax: In particular, what will the changes to the U.S. subpart F rules mean for planning for Canadian private companies? Learn about the expansion of the definition of a “United States shareholder” and new deemed income inclusions.
8) Tips on planning with professionals, Canadians who own U.S. shares
9) The Bottom line in investments, retirement and estate planning for individuals, professionals and private business owners.
|4:00 - 4:30||
THE SUMMIT – PEER-TO-PEER DISCUSSION, YOUR Q & A
Hosted by Evelyn Jacks and Dean Smith
Ask your most pertinent questions of the experts. How will you respond to the planning and audit-defence opportunities with your clients? How will your practice change with a new, more aggressive CRA/IRS approach? You’ll find stimulating answers to these questions and deep perspectives from our guest experts and your peers in this interactive session.
Closing Remarks and Certification
Verifiable Credits – 6.5 Non-Verifiable Credits – 3.5 = Total 10 CE/CPD Credits