Last Chance to Enroll: Advanced Tax Update Workshops Features Canada’s Top Tax ExpertsPosted: January 15, 2019
Posted in: Strategic Thinking
Shake out the cobwebs and sharpen your tax knowledge with Canada’s most popular advanced tax update featuring a detailed line-by-line approach to the new 2018 forms and schedules from the CRA. The national tour featuring keynote speaker Evelyn Jacks and an outstanding faculty of experienced instructors starts Thursday January 17 in Winnipeg; then arrives Monday the 21 in Toronto ; Ottawa on the 22, Calgary on the 23, Edmonton on the 24 and Vancouver on the 25th. Don’t miss out - there are only a few spots left so call or enroll online today.
It all begins with a spell-binding keynote address by Evelyn Jacks, President of Knowledge Bureau. This award-winning tax educator, and Canada’s bestselling tax author of 54 books, will provide a comprehensive overview of the recent fall economic statement as well as what’s new for tax season 2019 from Finance Canada and CRA. She will provide invaluable tips on family wealth management and investment planning to enhance your value proposition in filing 2018 tax returns and unveil her latest book, co-authored with Jenifer Bartman: Defusing the Family Business Time Bomb: How To Take Control of the Most Explosive Challenge in a Generation.
Special guests include Knowledge Bureau Master Instructors and faculty members: Walter Harder, BSc, RWM, DFA-Tax Services Specialist; Alan Rowell, RWM, MFA, DFA-Tax Services Specialist (in Winnipeg, Toronto and Ottawa); and Jos Herman, BComm, CPA, CA, CFP, TEP (In Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver).
The tax-deductible tuition fees include all of the following components that will leave you and your team well prepared for tax season 2019:
- The highly-prized Knowledge Bureau Advanced Tax Reference Journal, a comprehensive desktop reference featuring detailed but easy to understand tax theory behind all the lines on the T1 – including the CRA’s 2018 forms and schedules. You’ll also receive interview checklists, wealth management planning tips, case studies and quick reference tables to save you time and money during the busy tax season.
- BONUS - an additional $365 Value - access to Evergreen Explanatory Notes, an 800 topic personal, corporate and GST online reference library to keep you up-to-date on the most recent tax changes pre- and post-seminar. This year, receive a three-month free subscription to EverGreen Explanatory Notes to help you with tough tax research questions throughout the tax season. PLUS! Take $200 off your next online course with Knowledge Bureau.
- 10 valuable CE/CPD credits
- A handsome certificate of achievement to display so your clients know you have the most up to date tax knowledge to help them save money.
- Lots of snacks and great food to keep you energized throughout the day.
- Outstanding networking opportunities with professional financial advisors from the tax, bookkeeping, accounting and financial services.
- A jam-packed agenda featuring line-by-line and profile-by-profile advanced personal tax updates. Read what will be covered below.
REMEMBER: REGISTER BY JANUARY 10 FOR EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTS AND YOUR FREE TAX RESEARCH BONUS!
STRATEGIC OVERVIEW ON TAX CHANGES FOR 2019 TAX SEASON
FOCUS ON EMPLOYMENT INCOME, DEDUCTIONS & CREDITS:
- Employees and their deductions (T777) and credits
- Commission sales people, sales, home office and auto expenses
- Other employment deductions – TL2, tradespeople, artists, etc.
- Families – child care and moving expenses
- Students – income, deductions and credits
FOCUS ON PROPRIETORSHIPS – T2125 and schedules
- Reporting sources of income: fiscal year ends, consulting, professionals, retail with inventories, farming & fishing with inventory provisions and drought deferrals
- Deductions: full, restricted, mixed use, etc.
- Net income: with spousal partnerships, other partnerships
- Time for sale or incorporation: transfer/sale of assets, terminal loss, recapture, rollovers other provisions
- New capital cost allowance rules for 2018 -2027
FOCUS ON PERSONAL RESIDENCES
- Principal residences and change of use (rental to personal, personal to rental).
- Calculating rental income in Canada, income from second residences abroad
- Principal residence exemptions, adventures or concerns in the nature of trade, residences as inventory
- Farm properties, fishing boats and yachts, other Principal Residence disposition variations
ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION; CASE STUDIES HOSTED BY KNOWLEDGE BUREAU
- Departure Taxes, Immigration/emigration, GRE Estates
FOCUS ON INCOME FROM PROPERTY & INVESTMENTS
Schedule 1 Dividend Tax Credits, Tax on Split Income, Minimum Tax, Foreign Income
- T1206, T691, T2209, T2036, T1135
Schedule 4 Compounding Investments, Insurance Policies and deductions (T2210)
Schedule 3 Capital Gains and Losses – Dispositions from Small business corporation shares, and deferral of eligible SBC shares, qualifying farms and fishing operations, and reserves (T2017), capital losses from reduction in Business Investment Losses,
- Publicly traded shares, mutual funds, other securities (bonds, debentures, promissory notes), real estate including mortgage foreclosures, conditional sales repossessions
- Listed personal use and personal use properties
- Depreciable property including effect of new provisions – November 21, 2018
FOCUS ON RETIREES: COMMUTING DEFINED BENEFIT PENSION PLANS
New rules released on December 4 clarify the CRA’s position on tax treatment afforded to members of defined benefit pension plans who are commuting values into various pension options. Review principles for advising clients who have questions about their pension options for 2019 forward, while explaining tax filing requirements for those who retired in 2018. Also review tax filing requirements in the year of death.
• Case study: income reporting and deductions, income splitting, income layering
• Case study: reporting income on death of a taxpayer
Here’s how to Register: Call 1-866-953-4768 or enrol online:
Here’s where to go:
|Jan 17||Winnipeg||Manitoba Club, 194 Broadway, Winnipeg R3C 0R2|
|Jan 21||Toronto||Pearson Convention Centre, 2638 Steeles Ave East, Brampton|
|Jan 22||Ottawa||Rideau Club, 99 Bank St, Ottawa|
|Jan 23||Calgary||Clarion Conference Centre, 2120 16 Ave NE, Calgary|
|Jan 24||Edmonton||Holiday Inn Edmonton South, 4485 Gateway Blvd, Edmonton|
|Jan 25||Vancouver||Sandman City Centre, 180 West Georgia St, Vancouver|
COPYRIGHT OWNED BY KNOWLEDGE BUREAU INC., 2018.
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, IS PROHIBITED.