News Article

New from the CRA: Applying for child benefits in Manitoba made easy

Posted: May 16, 2012

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and the Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency have teamed up to offer a convenient and secure way for Manitobans to apply for child benefit programs for their newborns. RC4476-MB or "Birth Registration and Canada Child Benefitsî explains the new program.

After the mother ó who must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child ó registers the child's birth with the province of Manitoba and gives her consent, the Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency will send the registration information over a secure communication network to the CRA. There is no need for separate communication with the CRA. The CRA will then determine eligibility for benefits, including the Canada Child Tax Benefit, the Universal Child Care Benefit, the GST/HST credit and any related provincial/territorial programs that the CRA administers.

To register, you must:

  • complete and sign the registration-of-birth form;
  • consent to the Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency sharing your information with the CRA;
  • provide your social insurance number.

For more information, download RC4476-MB on the CRA website.

The CRA also recently released various forms related to reporting GST:

ï GST20 Election for GST/HST Reporting Period  provides the necessary form and explains how to change your GST reporting period.

ï GST20-1 similarly provides the form for a listed financial institution to change its GST reporting period.

ï Excise and GST/HST News, No. 84 brings together in one document all the measures related to GST/HST and excise tax proposed in the March 29 federal budget.