Take advantage of reduced rates for early-bird registration until January 10.
Prefer a personal touch? Call toll-free 1-866-953-4769 for a one-on-one consultation.
THEME: CANADA’S MOST COMPREHENSIVE T1 FILING COURSE FOR 2019 RETURNS
Join Canadian tax expert Evelyn Jacks and special guest instructors from across Canada who will update date you on the latest personal tax changes on the tax forms and dig deep behind the lines so you can find every tax deduction and credit available to the families you do tax returns for. Train your new seasonal and returning staff and save money by booking a whole table. This popular event sells out every year so enrol early.
These workshops are ideal for training new and returning staff working in independent tax filing firms, CPAs in public practice, financial services firms, public trustees, legal assistants, municipal officers, payroll and software companies who employ staff involved with any CRA remittances.
Professionals may earn: 10 CE/CPD credits
3.5 non-verifiable CE/CPD credits
6.5 verifiable CE/CPD credits
You can also participate in networking opportunities to build relationships across the financial services industry.Enrol Now
(Come back often as new details are released)
7:45 – 8:00
REGISTRATION AND COFFEE: Pick up your Advanced Comprehensive Knowledge Journal
8:00 - 9:00
PERSONAL TAX UPDATE: WHAT’S NEW IN PERSONAL TAXATION?
• Economic Events: What’s new at Finance Canada?
• Financial Events: What’s New at CRA? CPP, Tax filing details, Efile & audit
• Managing Life Events: Marital Change, Births & RESPs, Disability, Immigration, etc.
9:00 - 10:30
FOCUS ON EMPLOYMENT INCOME, DEDUCTIONS & CREDITS:
• Employees and their deductions and new credits
• Commission sales people, sales, home office and auto expenses
• Other employment deductions—TL2, tradespeople, artists, etc.
• Families—child care and moving expenses
• Students—income, deductions and credits
10:30 - 10:45
10:45 – 11:45
FOCUS ON PROPRIETORSHIPS—T2125 and schedules
• Reporting sources of income: fiscal year ends, consulting, professionals, retail with inventories, farming & fishing with inventory provisions and drought deferrals
• Deductions: full, restricted, mixed use, etc.
• Net income: with spousal partnerships, other partnerships
• Time for sale or incorporation: transfer/sale of assets, terminal loss, recapture, rollovers other provisions
• New capital cost allowance rules for 2018–2027
11:45 – 12:30
FOCUS ON PERSONAL RESIDENCES
• Principal residences and change of use (rental to personal, personal to rental).
• Calculating rental income in Canada, income from second residences abroad
• Principal residence exemptions, adventures or concerns in the nature of trade, residences as inventory
• Farm properties, fishing boats and yachts, other Principal Residence disposition variations
1:00 – 1:30
ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION AND RECENT CASE STUDIES
1:30 – 2:45
FOCUS ON INCOME FROM PROPERTY & INVESTMENTS
Dividend Tax Credits, Tax on Split Income, Minimum Tax, Foreign Income
Compounding Investments, Insurance Policies and deductions
Capital Gains and Losses—Dispositions from
• Small business shares, and deferral of eligible SBC shares, qualifying farms and fishing operations, and reserves, capital losses from reduction in Business Investment Losses
• Publicly traded shares, mutual funds, other securities (bonds, debentures, promissory notes)
• Real estate including mortgage foreclosures, conditional sales repossessions,
• Listed personal use and personal use properties
• Depreciable property including effect of new provisions introduced in recent budgets
2:45 – 3:00
3:00 – 4:15
FOCUS ON RETIREES: NEW PENSION PLANNING OPTIONS
New rules clarify the CRA’s position on tax treatment afforded to members of defined benefit pension plans who are commuting values into various pension options. Review principles for advising clients who have questions about their pension options, while explaining tax filing requirements for those who retired this year. Also review tax filing requirements in the year of death. Included are new pension income planning options using ALDAs, Annuities, IPPs, RDSPs
• Case study: income reporting and deductions, income splitting, income layering
• Case study: reporting income on death of a taxpayer
Closing Remarks and Certification
Verifiable Credits—6.5 Non-Verifiable Credits—3.5
Very informative. Picked up some good ideas; all topics were good. I will attend again. Most valuable business idea: learn to control your business.
—K. Davis, Alberta
Every year there are significant tax and economic changes announced in federal budgets and economic updates from the Finance department. This information is necessary to facilitate end-to-end financial planning: from filing accurate and audit-proof tax returns, to planning investment, retirement, succession, estate and trust solutions.
These Knowledge Bureau Education Days will help you better serve your clients with deep knowledge and confident skills. Most important, you will be positioned to become a more trusted advisor in a multi-advisory team of professionals who help in end-to-end financial services: from banking to bookkeeping and tax compliance, to holistic family wealth management.
Pre-session: reading in EverGreen Explanatory Notes
In-session: cutting-edge instruction from industry experts
Post-session: special tuition fees for online studies
Comprehensive Knowledge Journal— your desk-top reference
Outstanding networking opportunities with a diverse audience
Great food, valuable prizes and surprises